Kirberger PC: a boutique law firm providing US visa and immigration services since 1998.



Marriage-Based Green Card

wedding cake 1 - 117316269 wedding cake 1 - 117316269

wedding cake 1 - 117316269 Marriage-Based Green CardObtaining a marriage-based green card is one of the fastest ways to obtain Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status in the United States. Same-sex spouses are now eligible for this process on the same basis as opposite sex spouses.

The choice of whether to process a marriage-based green card depends on various factors including US immigration history, criminal history, other eligibility under various applicable laws, and a couple’s particular personal or professional circumstances.

Note regarding same-sex couples seeking US immigration benefits via marriage: on June 26, 2013, the US Supreme Court overturned the federal Defense of Marriage Act of 1996 (DOMA), which prohibited the US federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages. For international same-sex couples, this means that a US citizen or US permanent resident can now file a green card application for a same-sex spouse.

Marriage-Based Green Card Processes

Generally, a US Citizen or green card holder can sponsor a spouse for a marriage-based green card using one of two processes: Adjustment of Status if the couple both reside in the US, or Immigrant Visa processing if the non-US spouse resides outside of the US or has a temporary visa that does not allow the intent to remain in the US indefinitely (immigrant intent is the intention to remain in the US indefinitely; “dual intent” is the intent to either reside in the US temporarily or permanently; visa categories that allow dual intent include the H-1B visa and L-1 visa categories; visa categories that do not allow dual intent include the F-1 visa and the B visa).

  1. Adjustment of Status: if a couple is already married and both reside in the US, they can submit their application materials to the USCIS office with jurisdiction over their case to obtain a Green Card through Marriage. Or,
  2. Immigrant Visa Processing (also known as “consular processing” or “IV Processing”): if a couple is already married, but resides abroad; or the foreign spouse still resides abroad and is not in possession of a US nonimmigrant or temporary visa that would permit immigrant intent, then they may submit an Immigrant Visa application to obtain a Green Card through marriage. Immigrant intent means the intent to live in the US permanently, as opposed to visiting the US temporarily.

The adjustment of status process in the US tends to be relatively quick, i.e., approximately 4-8 months. However, certain factors can create delays, including the FBI security background check; USCIS case backlogs; other factors in an applicant’s personal immigration history; changing addresses without informing USCIS; postponing scheduled appointments; etc.

Immigrant Visa Processing, on the other hand, averages about 12 months (this is subject to change at any time and varies greatly depending on which US Consulate is processing the application) during which the foreign spouse may have difficulty visiting the US if the couple does not already live together abroad. Very few couples choose to go this route, since the possible separation can be lengthy. However, such couples may have an alternative to reunite in less than 12 months, i.e., the K-3 visa for spouses of US citizens.

Conditional Resident Status vs. Permanent Resident Status

In an effort to reduce marriage fraud, US immigration law places a condition on the initial length of a foreign spouse’s resident status once s/he has obtained a Green Card through marriage.

For example, if the marriage occurred more than 2 years prior to the date the marriage-based green card application was approved, then the US Green Card status will be permanent upon approval of the marriage-based green card petition. The Green Card itself is limited to 10 years, but it can be renewed (Lawful Permanent Resident status does not expire with the expiration of the Green Card).

However, if the marriage occurred less than 2 years prior to the marriage-based green card approval, then the foreign spouse’s Green Card will be conditional and valid for only 2 years. In this instance, the expiration of the Conditional Green Card triggers the expiration of Conditional Lawful Permanent Resident status, which could make the non-US spouse deportable. Therefore, filing a timely petition to have the 2-year condition removed is critical.

Scenario 1: Your marriage occurred April 2, 2006, and your marriage-based green card petition was approved January 2, 2009. Length of marriage at the time of approval was more than 2 years. Your US resident status will be permanent; no condition will be imposed. The Green Card will be valid for 10 years.

Scenario 2: Your marriage occurred April 2, 2008, and your marriage-based green card was approved October 1, 2008. Length of marriage at the time of approval was 6 months. Resident status is conditional for 2 years and expires October 1, 2010. The couple must file a joint petition to remove the conditions on resident status during the 90-day window leading up to the October 1, 2010 expiration date of conditional residence. In other words, your joint petition must arrive at the appropriate USCIS office between July 1, 2010 and October 1, 2010.

Can I file a Removal of Condition petition before the 90-day window?

If a couple divorces during the 2-year conditional period, the non-US spouse can submit a waiver of the requirement for a joint petition at any time during the 2 years. However, the applicant must still prove to the USCIS that the marriage was bona fide (real) up until it began to deteriorate. (Note: living separately does not allow you to file sooner, and you must still file a joint petition with your spouse).